Analysis at the Table

Poker, like any other gambling guide game, is a game of risks against rewards. Any determination you make at the poker table can be thought of as a comparison of the reward for the play and the risk involved in that specific play. To arrive at the decision, three questions are involved: To what extent would be the risk? How big would be the reward? Would the reward be big enough to analyze the risk?

Your risk would be a bet when deciding whether to bluff. The pot would be your reward (also the advertising value if you show the bluff). Your risk would be a bet when deciding whether to bet an average hand before all the cards are out. If it works out, your reward (when your rival does not fold) would be that you did not give a little hand a free card to outdraw you. When you check a great hand, you take a risk of losing a bet in that round and also of losing the pot to a hand that would have folded if you bet. The check-raise or future bets on later round of betting will be your reward. Your risk would be a bet and the pot would be your reward when deciding whether to call. Whatever is the decision in poker can be put in the following terms. What have you gain (in addition to future gains on successive hands) by making a specific play? What you have to lose? The skill to consider correctly the risk-reward percentage for any decisions in poker basics test on the road to become an expert poker player.

The problem is that unlike chess and many other games, poker is a game of speed. Every now and then, you have to think about a hand, but the decision to make a hand have to be decided in a few seconds. You cannot sit and think for five minutes estimating odds, or trying to read your rivals' hand, or trying to figure out what they are thinking and afterwards deciding upon your best play. The other players around the table wouldn't bear your dawdling. You would give away information about your hand, because any time you take a long break to judge, your rivals will think that you have some kind of problem. (At the same time, when you find, despite of your best efforts, you often have to take a break when you are playing; you should also take a break when you have no reason to throw your rivals off.)

Poker is a game for quick-thinking people. Some experts are slow thinkers, not able to arrive at quick decisions, and they can never become great poker players. However, some of the expert poker players in the world are not super minds, but they are super-quick minds and can remember any mistake what they and their rivals make. Some mixtures of quick-thinking and immediate recall have to be created if you want to become an expert poker player.

Analysis in Theory

The difficult thing for the average poker player is to make correct decisions at the game on the strength of a hand. Most of the good and bad players just decide what they think their rival has and then continue to determine their best play on the assumption that their rival has the hand they are assuming he has. On the other hand, as observed in chapter of reading hands, this is a worse and probably expensive method of going about the business of decision-making. There is much best way, which is employed by many good poker players. They questioned, "What are the most probable hands that my rival can have and what are the chances he has with each of them?" They ascertain the best play for each of the probable hands, and they relatively select the best play against their rival's possible hand or hands.

It succeeds sometimes that no matter what your rival has, you end up with the same best play. This is very true in case of an easy decisions suppose, deciding to fold when you have nothing in seven card stud, the pot is small and your rival with an open pair of aces bets on the end.

If, however, the pot is big - therefore the reward would be big - you may want to determine the chances of a bluff raise working if rival has nothing but two aces. And, obviously those chances would rely upon the chances that your rival has only aces.

Very often, then, a different play becomes correct depending upon what your rival has. Suppose, a bluff raise may have a fair chance of working if the rival has nothing but two aces. It has little chance of working if that rival has aces up. It would be less than no chance of working if he has made a straight and no more chance against aces full. Thus, ascertaining whether the risk of two bets (call or raise) is worth the probable reward of the pot relies:

• Upon the chances that the rival has only two aces instead of having any other possible hands.

• On whether that rival is the kind of player who would fold them if you raise.

For example, you decide there is almost 25 percent chance that your rival has two aces and a 75 percent chance he has aces up or better. Subsequently, if that player actually has only aces, you know there would be 50 percent chance he will fold if you raise. Therefore, the reward of the pot is possibly not worth the risk of two bets and you should fold. Usually, when you have an alternate play in poker dependent upon your rival's hand, you choose the best play against his possible hand or hands.

Suppose, you figure a rival to have Hand A 40 percent of the time, Hand B 35 percent of the time, and Hand C 25 percent of the time. Of course, you would choose the best play against Hand A, which is your rival's possible hand. However, if Hand A needs one play, whereas both Hand B and Hand C needs another play, you would definitely make the second play as it will be right 60 percent of the time - 35 percent of the time when your rival has Hand B and 25 percent of the time when he has Hand C.

When evaluating a poker case, you need to go through four steps in deciding on your best play.

• Ascertain the most likely hands your rival can have.

• Evaluate the chances of his having each of his most likely hands.

• Ascertain your best play against each of his most likely hands.

• In many situations, choose the play that will very often be correct.